4# Weekly Report [2011/6/13 – 2011/6/19]

This week I spent much time on fixing the repository corruption problem of Mercurial, so I cann’t share my work on develop command of packaging with others as soon as possible. Through communicating with Mercurial developers on its mailing list, I got to know that the reason causing this problem is that I cloned a repository on Win7 and copied it to my WindowsXP machine with a U disk – during copying and pasteing, some files with leading spaces in the .hg directory are stripped. Thanks to Eric’s great work about the workflow of contribution to distutils2/packaging, I can work regularly with a clear mind and a comfortable mood. And finally I can publish my work on bitbucket, then move further.

Things done in this week:

1 create a server-side clone on bitbucket and push all my changesets to this repository

+1 I can work regularly with python bug tracker, bitbucket.org, Mercurial, python language now!: ) It’s great for me and take me enjoyable experiences during this process.

2 report an enhancement bug about adding kwargs to get_initialized_command, and write a patch to fix it

+1 During this process, I think I moved more further in Python’s world, because it doesn’t need me to make a patch and upload it to bug tracker now, and all I should do is just to push changesets to bitbucket and paste the corresponding uri to bug tracker.

3 do some refactor work

As I said in last weekly report, there are still much to improved in my code. So in this week, I did some refactor work, e.g. removing some unnecessary comments, simplifying some code, e.t.c.

Mentor has made some good comments on my work and there is a lot of communication on the bug tracker and in the fellowship mailing list, so I think it will take me some time to make a summary and refactor my code in the following aspects:

1) the role of ‘develop’ places
    I agree with Eric’s saying that develop should be a command instead of an action, and it maybe taken as an option of install. But these days I’m wrting tests against current work, so I have not yet changed current develop working way. I will do this work soon.

2) the location that .dist-info directory should be placed in
    It’s good that in bug tracker Eric has shown three reasons that we should place .dist-info directory under the build dir. I will make a more better consideration and do some verifying work. It’s easy to change.

3) the use of .distinfo-link file
    In setuptools, there is an .egg-link file which is used to let setuptools find the egg of the project in ‘development’ mode, so I also created a .distinfo-link file under the installation directory(defaultly site-packages). Eric has asked me what is this file used for in packaging, but now I have not yet summarized a good saying. So, I’ll construct a good example showing its usage in these two days if it is actually necessary.

4 write tests against current ‘develop’
It’s almost completed with only about one function left. I think I can finish it today and will push it to bitbucket asap.

According to the schedule on my proposal, I should finish the work of ‘develop’ command before June 20, but it seems that it’s a little impossible for me according to current progress. So I’m asking for more 2 days here and will try my best.

Then in next week, I will try to fix the above prolems and make a better ‘develop’, then begin to focus on the next summer task – automatic script creation.

Best regards,
higery

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Distutils2, GSOC2011, Python. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 4# Weekly Report [2011/6/13 – 2011/6/19]

  1. Éric Araujo says:

    Good to see you fully set up with the tools and processes; now it’s time for more code!

    > I agree with Eric’s saying that develop should be a command instead of an action, and it maybe taken as an
    > option of install. But these days I’m wrting tests against current work, so I have not yet changed current develop
    > working way. I will do this work soon.
    Okay, just don’t write tests for something you know will be removed (the pysetup action). Removing code is easy, anyway.

    > write tests against current ‘develop’
    > It’s almost completed with only about one function left. I think I can finish it today and will push it to
    > bitbucket asap.
    Don’t forget: Push early, push often. It makes a backup and lets people follow you.

    About schedule: Don’t worry about a few days. As long as you work the required hours with focus and effort, we’re good.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s